These are fast becoming a staple in our house. They’re relatively quick and easy to make and they reheat perfectly for lunch. I love the creamy filling combined with a little bit of a kick from the salsa. So good. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Clean Chicken Empanadas
1 cup + 2 tbsp. warm water
1 tbsp. dry active yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. honey
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 oz. cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 lb. seasoned shredded chicken
1. Pour warm water into a mixing bowl and sprinkle yeast over it. Stir to dissolve.
2. Add remaining ingredients in order and mix
3. Knead bread for a couple of minutes or just until it is a smooth ball. It should look something like this
4. Divide the dough into eight wedges and roll into balls. Flatten with a rolling pin.
5. Combine cream cheese, shredded cheese and salsa in a mixing bowl.
6. Place some shredded chicken and a large spoonful of the cheese/salsa mixture onto one half of each dough circle.
7. Fold dough over and press edges with a fork.
8. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 500 degrees.
Adapted from Money Saving Mom